Thursday, December 7, 2017

~Tales from the Deaf Side: Another Brief Interlude~

~In which I learn that, yes, I am a dumbass and really slow on the uptake….

The story today begins, as a worryingly large number of my stories do, in a coffee house.  My usual one nowadays, a quaint little place, called Tate Street Coffee, off to the side of the local university, staffed mostly by students and catering to the same, plus some professors and an eclectic variety of local color.  It’s a nice place, if somewhat lacking in available electrical outlets for public use.  When the place first opened, back in the early ‘90s, that wasn’t really much of a concern.
            I was busy writing, as usual, and caught a sideways glimpse of a young woman in a wheelchair as she came to a stop beside a table near me, maybe 8 feet away from where I was sitting. Nothing to pay much attention to, really.  Just another customer.  So I returned to what I was working on for another 30 seconds or so.   Out of the corner of my eye – for when you’re losing your hearing, your subconscious really starts keeping track of things on the edge of your line of vision – I noticed the woman looking pensively about, as if searching for something or somebody.  She seemed to be in need of some help and nobody else seemed to be paying attention.  So I did what any dumbass who keeps forgetting his current situation would do – I looked up at her and asked, “Do you need help?”
            As soon as the words left my mouth, I realized my mistake.  A smarter man than me would have seen this coming a mile away.  Then again, a smarter man than me would probably wait for his Americano to cool slightly before drinking to avoid burning his throat.  I fail to manage that one at least once a week, so it’s probably best to keep any expectations of intelligent behavior from me subdued, if not downright insultingly low.
            She replied.  And, of course, I had no idea what she was saying.  As soon as I spoke, I knew I had just committed a major faux pas and I was already formulating my apology because I must have looked like a total ass.  I mean, who offers to help and then immediately says he can’t help?  How twisted can a person be, mocking a handicapped person in this fashion?  What perverse horrors lie in such a man’s past to have turned him into this atrocious and sublimely-petty villain?  And what would Batman have to say about my nefarious actions?
            As I rushed to explain myself, she was already repeating what she said.  Or perhaps calling me a slack-jawed dickwhistle.  Either would have been reasonable reactions.   Our exchange had already garnered the attention of others nearby, and I briefly considered making a break for it.  In time, perhaps, the events of the previous minute would be forgotten as the witnesses grew old and died out and perhaps a nuclear holocaust took care of any others these witnesses might have shared this story with.  Then I could return to collect my things and quietly sneak out the back door before dying in the irradiated landscape of this blasted and blackened Earth.
            After a moment, one of these witnesses, an older gentleman, came over to move a chair away from the table so the woman could maneuver her wheelchair up to it, bringing an end to what passed for a dialogue between her and me.  I tried one last apology before just returning to my work and hoping that whatever judge awaits me in the afterlife, he or she would have a transcript of my thoughts (or lack thereof) immediately preceding my original question and realize that, no, I’m not an asshole, I’m just really stupid.
            My grasp of contemporary eschatology might not set the world on fire, but it works well enough for me.
            I’m not sure what to make of all this, really, except that I ought to have internalized my hearing loss by now.  There’s really no excuse for slips like this.  If one wants to move through this world with as much semblance of normalcy as possible, one must learn to tread the line between the unavoidable exigencies of one’s situation and the avoidable pitfalls resulting from it.  While I’ve never particularly cherished normalcy except as a way of avoiding the bother of causing a ruckus, I still find myself occasionally wishing that I didn’t have to always reflect on how my hearing will affect any given situation.  Partly because I’m too lazy to make the considerable effort necessary to compensate for it, and partly because, even after all this time, I’m still not quite used to my new reality.  Maybe I never will be.  Mind you, I accept it just fine.  There’s no sense in dwelling on something I can’t change.  
But good God, I need to learn to actually think before I open my fool mouth. 
Of course, everything I know about myself suggests that might be asking a bit much of me.  Maybe I should just embrace my dumbassery and learn to make it work for me rather than against me.  That’s possible…right?
I’m just going to assume it is.  Makes the prospect of losing even more of my hearing so much simpler to deal with.


~Fin~

No comments:

Post a Comment