Saturday, December 17, 2016

The Giverny Life (TGL)

Part I:  ~The Giverny Life~

A single spray of rain dashed against the glass as the thunderstorm rolled across the landscape, somehow over the horizon and directly overhead at once.  Then another splash, and another, quicker and quicker until the individual drops were lost in the constant wash of water over the city.  Through the stormy haze:  drooping scrub oaks and grim-grey buildings and steaming cars all blur together, imprecise blobs of motion and muted tail-lights immersed in a depthless murk, merging reluctantly into meandering slippery hues joining together into the drowsiness of a million prismatic splotches, a groaning, a wavering, a suṣupti dreaming, not-dreaming, an endless flow of incoherent impressionistic lily-colored liquid streams swirling about each other, a Giverny life. 
                All my senses muddled and muddied, right in the midst of the mutable madding crowd, I lingered in the darkened corner next to the balcony door, thinking of other words that started with ‘m’ to describe my current situation.  Further accommodating my search for alliteration, people mingled and mumbled about me.  Occasionally, they meandered near me, a muddle of meaningless murmurs.
Leaning against the wall, I closed my eyes for a moment and shook my head, as if I could somehow disperse the incoherence by doing so.  The incoherence refused to be dispelled.   It settled in and made funny faces at me.  Metaphorically-speaking, that is.  I'm not crazy.   Usually.
The sounds all ran breathlessly together as I opened my eyes and stared at the door.  The door’s wooden frame contained a shattered fractal of stained glass, mostly purples and ambers and reds spreading out in a manner that could be called an artistic spiral if one were being generous while talking to some three year old proudly presenting the door as artwork.  Since no three year old stood anywhere nearby for convenient disapprobation (unspoken, of course, I’m not a monster), I just grimaced at the ugliness of the glass.    The raindrops now sliding down it did trace pretty patterns under the candlelight, at least.  In the center, a solitary pane of completely clear glass allowed me to see outside.
It bothered me, just a little, because it had no business being an outside door to a domicile.
Because the power had gone out almost an hour before, all the corners were dark.  Mine was the darkest, though.  That’s why I chose it.  The host had tracked down several candles, plus a couple of battery-powered camping lanterns belonging to a neighbor, so the room wasn’t actually completely dark.  One could still make out individual faces easily enough, though the jaggedness of the flickering shadows made them seem sharp and a bit alien. 
Still, I had lost track of the people I’d come with.  Perhaps I’d done so deliberately.   I honestly can't remember.  And if I had done so for that reason, I certainly didn't realize it consciously.  Pulling away in such moments can be a gratuitously random act with uncertain motives.  They moved, I moved, the world moved, and when I found myself in that shadowy corner, I settled in.  I watched the street two stories down and shut out the rest of the room as though it were nothing more than a momentary distraction, easily ignored, easily forgotten.  Chilly air blew from a vent overhead; I shivered and squeezed more tightly into the corner to escape the direct flow across my bare arms.   The cold breeze against my skin felt too much like numbness.
But it was a damp warm evening in a room that had seen more than its fair share of cigarettes and joints and cheap alcohol, all enhanced by lackadaisical college student cleaning habits.  The crowd smelled of faint sweat and fainter deodorants of every stripe, and, just beneath those, the pervading scent of old dust and dank and the slightest raw hint of incipient decay.  There was no escaping the sense of humanity huddled against the world, the herd instinct quelling their day-to-day fears and uncertainty, allowing them to hide in the endless moments of slightly drunken camaraderie at 11 p.m. on a Friday evening.  These were the sorts of evenings I knew, the ones that made me decide to be ridiculously melodramatic about their natures and impulses.
Though I could not make out specific conversations, I could isolate and tentatively identify various voices.  Recognizing neither friends nor acquaintances, I wondered how many of them actually were friends and acquaintances, passing in the shadows at the corners of my vision, the distinct, recognizable voices turning to wisps as they reached my ears.
                I could have looked.  The candles (mostly floral-scented in ways nature never actually intended flowers to smell) and electric lanterns (both of them glowing in the dullest and driest shades of dusty-white) might have provided sufficient illumination to find them.  Here and there, the tips of incense sticks glowed.  They didn’t actually light the room to any meaningful degree, of course.  They just provided points of reference.  Also, covered up the smell of pot, but I make no legally-actionable claims about the partaking, or not, of illegal substances in the area.  The room wasn’t that large; the crowd was approximately twenty-five people shoved into a space big enough for a dozen, maybe half that again if people weren’t too bothered by the prospect of getting to know each other a lot better than they intended.  They had been spread throughout the apartment before the power outage.  Now, only the living room and the part of the kitchen that contained the alcohol were lit.  So they gathered there, unwilling to call it a night with the rain still falling and the parking lot pitch black.
                But I didn’t look.  In the moment, it seemed an oddly futile act, as though I would understand only half the story being told by someone with little interest in making things clear to me.  All sound and fury, signifying nothing.  The sounds felt hard and heavy, an almost tactile tensile barrier between me and the rest of the party guests.  Instead, I sidled over to the balcony door, emerging into the halflight of a stormy day.
                The storm continued in sound and futility, blowing leaves against the door.  I could see it, feel it, and even smell it from a nearby window that had been opened the tiniest sliver.  The rain and wind shook the stained glass as I touched it lightly with my fingers.  The thunder growled more than it rumbled.    For a moment, I couldn’t remember properly.  Had it always growled?  Was the crack and rumble I expected nothing more than a flawed memory of cinematic and stage convention?
                Was I being ridiculous?
                Somehow, the last seemed most likely.  I’ve spent entire portions of my life being borderline ridiculous simply for the sake of enjoying the charm of the inane.  But I imagined the sheet of metal being shaken somewhere behind the curtains, a sound simply for my own benefit.  It was a ludicrous yet somehow pleasing thought.
                Wedged drowsily in the corner, time passing like slow fog sliding over me, I finally felt a hand on my shoulder.  *Stacey stood next to me, her dark wetsheened hair hanging limply over half her face as her mouth crooked into a smile – or a half-smile, I couldn’t confirm for the part of her mouth concealed beneath her hair, after all – and she said something.  Her expression and the way she looked into my eyes told me she was saying something gentle, something encouraging, something she clearly thought I needed to know. 
Though I could hear her speaking, if only barely, and partly by old instinct filling in the remembered sound of her voice, I couldn’t make out the words.  
I shook my head slightly and lifted my hand to tap my right ear with my forefinger.
She cocked her head a bit, looking puzzled.
It’s bad, I said quietly, and somehow she understood.
                Or perhaps she didn’t, at least not at first.   She simply repeated herself in the same voice, same tone, same volume, and I had to tap my ear again before her smile faded and she pulled me in for a hug.   I felt her lips against my right ear, a brief quiver of motion before she caught herself.  It felt like a kiss, and perhaps it was, at least in spirit.
We stood there for several seconds that felt as long as the entire evening preceding that moment, and she slid her fingers along the edge of my cheek and gave me another, sadder, smile before returning to her boyfriend *Henry.  I watched them for a couple seconds before turning my attention back to the window.
At some point, *Stacey must have spoken to our friends about our interaction, because the last thing I remember about that night is *Jason helping me out to our vehicles, holding me steady even though I wasn’t even remotely drunk.   But I allowed him to support me, and allowed *Stacey to help me get into my car, and they didn’t ask whether I was okay to drive.  They knew I was.  Instead, *Stacey waved before snuggling into *Henry’s not-inconsiderable amateur lacrosse-playin’ frame.  *Jason took the more direct approach to the mystique of human commonality by giving me a semi-solid punch on the shoulder and asked if we were still on for racquetball tomorrow.  Though I understood him, he mimed swinging a racquet, almost hitting *Stacey in the process.  *Henry practically growled and *Jason shot him a sheepish grin.
Yeah, I said.  We’ll get a court at 8.  *Jason smiled and punched me again before closing the door and letting me leave. He did like punching as the ultimate form of male bonding.  Whatever works, right?
                All these years later, though I remember the delicate angles of her face at that precise moment she spoke, the exact color of her single visible eye as she met my gaze, the exact sensation of her fingertips on my face, I still have no idea what *Stacey said. 
                I wonder if it was important.

That night is my earliest memory of everything going to an endless static tinnitus for an extended time.  It would go away later that same evening, when I lay on my sofa, listening drowsily to some Dave Brubeck coming from the speakers.  That specific memory is perfectly clear, though I could not tell you what happened between the time we left the party and the moment I flopped down to rest.  So I cannot recollect or describe the exact moment the static finally fell away. 
Because I remember the music – it was “Take Five,” on repeat, until I finally switched to “Blue Rondo à la Turk” – I know the tinnitus had left, if only for a time.  But time enough, really.  Given the bare and banal alternatives, you take the time, right?
Because I don’t remember the second time this happened, or the third, or any other time I could safely assign a specific place in the ongoing sequence, I don’t know when the music really started to go away for good, or which songs I started to lose first.
And because I have always suspected these days would come, I could no more feel sorry for myself than I could feel pleased at these gradual click-clacks tick-tocks of the inexorable.   
In the ensuing years, my hearing faded in and out, in and out, a slow slow slow see-saw always tilting just the tiniest bit more toward the pervasive silence with each motion, dulling bit by bit as the pieces of the world around me slipped away. 
When you start to lose a sense, its absence – darkness or silence or insensateness – almost seems to follow you over the weeks and years.  There’s the sense that something is out there, stalking, just waiting for you to be remade completely.  You slowly cease to be what you were.  Or what you are.  It’s no easy thing to separate yourself from the agglutinated self-image developed over the course of your life.  At times, you’re still 12 years old and perfectly able to follow a movie in the theater.  You’re 22 and deep in conversation with friends at a bar while the sounds of thrash metal thunder through the room.  These things happened.  You were there.  You know what you were capable of, and what you weren’t.  So when the silence looms like a great fog across the heath, you always wonder, just for a moment, why the expanse of the land suddenly seems so fuzzy.
Even when you accept it, as I did long ago, you can’t always escape the momentary apprehension that acceptance means you’ve given in, steeled yourself and marking an ‘L’ in the loss column.  Knowing better doesn’t always help – it’s a sudden thing, an insight that you weren’t looking for, like an unsummoned memory.
Mind you, it’s not a bad thing.  When it comes, it’s not so much a memento mori (metaphorically-speaking, of course) or a foreboding as it is a realization that life continues along its path as it should.  You were once this person, and that will never change.  And, though self-pity seems attractive to some, it’s not worth the effort, any more than swatting at that great fog across the heath is.

There’s a reason I chose the Giverny metaphor a few years ago.  I do understand how impressionism works, and, at first blush, the comparison doesn’t work well.  Monet painted the truth of sensation, the way colors came together to create objects.  Hearing loss is, in a word, loss.  No greater insight is gained by transforming formerly stark and clear sounds into a muddle of background noise.
But:
            As he aged, Monet’s eyesight worsened as cataracts slowly cut him off from the world; even the untrained observer can see the effect on his impressionistic paintings.  By his mid-60s, Monet’s vision problems had already started seeping into his art.  The muddled and indistinct slowly became more muddled and indistinct.  His previously-vivid grasp of colors grew stranger, reproducing shades and hues that would never have passed muster in his earlier work.  Painting from memory, his output became more erratic, less accurate.  While this sort of break from authenticity and realism would come to be embraced as the 20th century developed, Monet’s metiere lay in colors, in creating image from impression.  Without clear eyesight, he lost access to much of what he’d striven toward for most of his life.  The disconnect proved frustratingly pervasive and definitive, so much so that he didn’t really grasp how bad it was until people told him.
Knowing the art world, had these changes been intentional, he would have likely been lionized for his evolving artistic vision.  But they were the product of eyesight grown foggier, of treacherous memory slowly transforming familiar scenes.  Breaking with the solidity, the sharp-hewed angles and replicable details became lionized.  This was never Monet’s intention.  Monet eventually went under the knife with an early form of cataract surgery.  Though it was incompletely successful (for reasons I can only speculate on, he declined to have an operation on his left eye) it did provide him with a scant few years of improved vision toward the very end of his life.  If nothing else, he could finally learn to appreciate the world’s colors once again.  And when he saw his output from the cataract years, he found it wanting, embarrassing.  He destroyed several paintings because they failed at matching his rediscovered reality. 
Some might argue that going blind also deserves its own reality.  Dim-eyed Monet experienced a different world from bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Monet.  All worlds are created equal under the lens of life experience.  All worlds have worthwhile truths, and a painting through cataract-impaired vision is no less reflective of the artist at the time than one free of obstruction.  I can’t dispute this.  The world grows fluid, and you work with what you get.  There are far worse fates, I think.

~Fin~

No comments:

Post a Comment